HahYuhDooin?

Don McIntyre's blog. See www.donmcintyre.com

1/17/2011

Ain't Got No Pain (1996)

-
-
-
There’s a sun in your soul that shines bright
And dozens of moons for the miscellaneous night
And a garden of meadows and an eden of trees
But nothing much there that connects with me
I laid in the rain with demons all around
Wrestling with sleep and with silence and with sound
You asked from the shadows, “How are you, what’s new?”
Well, I ain’t got no answer
Got no explanation
I ain’t got no pain to sing for you

All nature is gentle in her darkest hour
But look all around you at her terrible power
I’m the Great Wall of China to your blazing hands
But my gates open wide when you weep and make demands
I’m the obstinate stain on your carpeted floor
I’m all spent and empty and you still deserve more
Then you say, “I feel lonely -- Can you sit for a few?”
Well, I ain’t got the time
Got no inclination
I ain’t got no pain to sing for you

We’re friends, then we’re strangers
as the monster continues to feed
Then lovers, then rivals
and anything else we both need

As you try and you try to do what you do
To bring comfort in all the ways that comfort you
To keep everything civilized and peaceful and pure
Like the tuxedo in his coffin with the ultimate cure
But the seed is the seed and the soil is the soil
And there must be a raging fire for the water to boil
Beneath everything that’s convenient there’s something more true
But I ain’t got no pain
Again and again and agan
I ain’t got no pain to sing for you


Copyright © 1996 Donald L. McIntyre All Rights Reserved