HahYuhDooin?

Don McIntyre's blog. See www.donmcintyre.com

11/11/2011

Vets?

Why should there be a Veterinarians Day? What makes veterinarians ("vets") so special? I mean, sure, we all love our pets, and its nice to have someone to help them when they're not feeling too good. But do we have a big national holiday for mail carriers? Psychotherapists? The store owners who have to clean up after the Occupy Wall Street crowd? What makes vets so special?

I think maybe Veterinarians Day is a conspiracy by those animal rights people - trying to make us think people who take care of animals are somehow more special than doctors, trash collectors or blackjack dealers. What's next - Veggie Day? I'm much more appreciative of, for example, dental hygienists, even the ones who eat meat. Why? Because I eat meat, and sometimes I need extra help cleaning out those little pieces that get stuck in your teeth. Why don't we have a Dental Hygienists Day?

Once, I had a dog with cancer. I took her to a vet, who just gave her a shot. And I haven't seen her since. Pretty creepy. What a terrible thing to have to think about every year on Vets Day.

What we really need is a Teachers Day. I'm so thankful for the way schoolteachers have taught me about what's important. Imagine how terrible the world would be if we weren't smart.